Daring Bakers, Dessert, Dessert Recipes, Recipes
Comments

Traditional Pudding, Daring Bakers Challenge

I have to admit, I’m a little bit obsessed with the DBC, these days my favourite day of the month is the 1st. It is on the 1st of every month, a new challenge is revealed. The April 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Esther of The Lilac Kitchen. She challenged everyone to make a traditional British pudding using, if possible, a very traditional British ingredient: suet.

Suet?? For those who don’t know, suet is the solid fat surrounding the loin and kidneys of animals, with suet from beef and lamb predominantly used. My initial reaction at the thought of incorporating raw animal fats into my dessert was one of disgust, only because I don’t eat meat. Unfortunately, it appears that many other participants of DBC felt the same way, so Esther was very accomodating and allowed us to use any substitute that we were comfortable with, provided we stick to either steaming or more traditionally boiling our pudding.

The best choice for me was to substitute the suet for butter. However the most difficult part was to figure out what type of flavours or fillings to use. As bananas are currently in season in Sydney, I decided to go with a steamed banana pudding.

Esther was kind enough to provide us with the recipes for variations of puddings, I’ll post the recipe for the one I used. If you’re interested in other options, check out Esther’s blog.

Steamed Banana Pudding

• 100gm plain flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1.5 teaspoon baking powder
  • 100gm breadcrumbs
  • 75gm caster sugar
  • 75 gm butter
  • 1 large egg
  • 6-8 tablespoon cold milk
  • 2 mashed ripened bananas

1. Sift flour, salt, baking powder in to a bowl
  2. Add breadcrumbs, sugar and butter
  3. Using a mixer, beat to a soft batter with egg, milk and ripened banana
  4. Pour in to a spring form baking tray or a pudding bowl. Cover securely with baking paper or foil.
  5. Steam for 2-3 hours.
  6. Turn out on to a plate, and serve at room temperature.

I’ve only started experimenting with burnt butter, because of the fragrant nutty flavour that burnt butter oemitted, I decided to make burnt butter ice cream to serve with my pudding. Overall, I served my banana pudding with caramelised banana pieces, freshly whipped cream, cocoa chips, burnt butter ice cream and chocolate powder.

With all products of my DBCs my brother and boyfriend are usually the guinea pigs, they would usually have a bite, then either walk away or stay to eat the plate clean. Luckily this time they both absolutely loved it, with my brother declaring it “the best DBC ever.” With such statements, I couldn’t help but sample it myself. OMG the banana pudding was so moist! The smell of the banana just permeates the sponge cake. The freshly whipped cream helped balance the caramelised banana, while the cocoa chip added that much needed crunch. The superbly rich and creamy burnt butter ice cream really tied everything together.

As previously mentioned, the thing i love most about the DBC is that it encourages you to step out of your comfort zone, to do things that you never thought was possible. Thank you Esther for choosing such an interesting challenge for this month, now I have another accomplishment under my belt.

Comments

1. This sounds so fragrant. Steamed cakes do have a different texture to them, retaining a level of moistness. Love the blowtorch action too :)
    .-= Helen (Grab Your Fork)´s last blog ..Sensory Lab, Melbourne =-.

2. Shelley says:

That looks so delicious. I love the idea of mashed banana in this kind of dessert. Great job on the challenge.

3. kristen says:

your pudding turned out beautiful! i love your presentation. well done. looking at your blog made me miss sydney. i lived over there in newcastle for a while and LOVED it!
    .-= kristen´s last blog ..Traditional British Pudding =-.

4. ap269 says:

This looks so extremely elegant. Fantastic job on the challenge!
    .-= ap269´s last blog ..The Daring Bakers’ Challenges 04/10: Cranberry & Orange Pudding =-.

5. Lara says:

Looks very impressive!! And you made a really hip dessert out of the old fashioned steamed pudding ;-) Greetings from Spain, Lara

6. Steph says:

Love it! I loove banana pudding and yours looks so moist. Love the presentation. Please share your burnt butter ice cream recipe, it was so yum.
    .-= Steph´s last blog ..Beetroot Desserts =-.

7. Kendra H says:

Oooooo, love the flavors for this pudding! Looks simply divine ~ guess there’s probably no leftovers if your siblings enjoyed it :)

8. Mary says:

Your banana steamed pudding is gorgeous, and I wish I could taste it! Beautiful accompaniments too:)
    .-= Mary´s last blog ..The Daring Bakers get steamy! =-.

9. Laura says:

Wow!! Stunning plating . . . Really nice job. I made banana, too. But mine looks so stodgy and dull compared to yours! I love the ice cream accompaniment, the caramelized bananas,and that chocolate (caramel?) lace piece. How did you ever do that lacy bit on top?
    .-= Laura´s last blog ..Daring Bakers Make Traditional British Pudding =-.

10. sandie says:

It looks fabulous. I love the sound of the burnt butter ice cream- will you post that recipe??
    .-= sandie´s last blog ..Mango Coconut Steamed Pudding =-.

11. Nice twist to the traditional pudding!! Stunning presentations as always. Very very nicely done. I still have the tub of burnt butter ice cream in my freezer :p
    .-= Ellie (Almost Bourdain)´s last blog ..Malaysian Style Sardine Sandwiches =-.

12. angie says:

Gorgeous pudding Linda!!
    .-= angie´s last blog ..Banh Xeo (Vietnamese Savoury Pancakes) – Mum in action =-.

13. Howard, u are a damn lucky guy! haha Linda: will you please bake something for me and DHL/FedEx/UPS over to Singapre? :D
    .-= ladyironchef – Singapore Food Blog´s last blog ..Best Dim Sum at Taste Paradise Ion Orchard, Singapore =-.

14. Kim says:

Your final product looks fabulous! I love how your pudding almost looks more like a shortcake. The burning of the butter looks like fun. Great job on the challenge!

15. Cynthia says:

What a beautiful presentation! The toasted bananas look amazing!

16. I love the caramelizing action going on with the bananas. Good work Linda, you never fail to amaze me. I should join up for DB soon :)
    .-= Phuoc’n Delicious´s last blog ..Taking some time out =-.

17. Betty says:

once again, amazing piece of food art :)
    .-= Betty´s last blog ..Red Velvet babycakes with cream cheese frosting =-.

18. Jackhonky says:

Gorgeous plating! You made it much fancier with the Cocoa Chip and caramelized bananas! Makes me want to take out my kitchen blowtorch! Yay Daring Bakers!
    .-= Jackhonky´s last blog ..Rhubarb Berry Steamed Pudding – the Daring Baker’s Challenge, April 2010 =-.

19. Amazing presentation it looks so beautiful and by the comments really was delicious. Bravo Bravo Bravo. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.
    .-= Audax Artifex´s last blog ..April DB Challenge Pudding using suet =-.

20. Trissa says:

Linda, you always manage to come up with beautiful works of art! Looks like something I’d order from a restaurant. Well done on this challenge Linda. By the way, I didn’t know you don’t eat meat!
    .-= Trissa´s last blog ..New York City: My Best Meal =-.

21. Really lovely plating! It sounds very tasty too and I’m quite jealous of your blowtorch.

22. FFichiban says:

Oohh mmyyyy this looks absolutely gorgeous!! Mmmm banannana and burnt butter ice creamu!
    .-= FFichiban´s last blog ..boozeday toozeday #7 – Kahlua Especial and Chocolate Kahlua souffles =-.

23. Eve says:

Wow! This looks so professional and delicious! Absolutely beautiful!
    .-= Eve´s last blog ..Traditional British Pudding =-.

24. elra says:

Superb idea, and very creative. You turn the humble pudding into sophisticated dessert. I like that!
    .-= elra´s last blog ..Sussex Pond Pudding, The Daring Baker Challenge April 2010 =-.

25. This is beyond gorgeous!! Nice touch with the bananas on top too (great excuse to use the blowtorch)! You managed to take puddings to the gourmet level!

26. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Howard. Howard said: Another month, another Daring Bakers Challenge. @lindaatEST puts a twist on a traditional british pudding. http://bit.ly/c2huNm [...]

27. chef_d says:

Oh wow, looks great, and I’m sure it tasted great too! Excellent job and lovely pictures!

28. Lori says:

That is what I love about it too. Had it not been for DB I dont think I ever would have cooked with suet or maybe even made English style pudding.

You did such an amazing job here. It really beckons!
    .-= Lori´s last blog ..Buttermilk Quick Bread =-.

29. Oh. My. Goodness!! This looks so delicious and BEAUTIFUL!! Fantastic job on this challenege!! :)
    .-= Jill @ Jillicious Discoveries´s last blog ..Daring Bakers: Traditional British Pudding =-.

30. The most beautiful presentation I have seen in DB Challenge this month. This is a great great job! Photos are stunning too :-)

Sawadee from Bangkok,
    Kris

31. Aparna says:

Love the way your pudding sounds (all my favourite flavours, including burnt butter) and looks gorgeous as well.
    .-= Aparna´s last blog ..The Proof Is In The Pudding – Steamed Sticky Date Pudding And Marbled Vanilla & Chocolate Pudding! Daring Baker’s Challenge April, 2010 =-.